Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Insomnia

When you lose love, one of the many things you also lose, is sleep. But not too many people talk about it, except in passing reference.

So here I am, writing this piece at an unearthly hour, having been up like this three days in a row with maybe around 6 hours sleep in installments of 2 hours each :-}

I stay awake at night thinking of Scarlett and the many reasons for which she broke up with me. (No, my being married was a big reason, but not the only reason). Then when sleep finally hits me between 5 and 6 in the morning, Rachel whose alarm goes off at 6.30am every morning, forces me out of bed with her questions about random stuff around the house, and questions about the kids and wanting to discuss what’s happening with them! And of course, the usual ironic question - "with so much crap happening in our lives, how can you sleep!?!?"  (Rachel goes to bed at 11 every night, and obviously, her insomnia [?] kicks in at 6.30am)

The result, I resemble your friendly neighbourhood racoon – dark circles around the eyes, et al!

The good thing about my insomnia is that I get more hours to do stuff – I do more work, I write more, and I think more. And I totally freak out my employees and clients, whose Blackberrys vibrate with new email at unearthly hours, or alternately wake up to find email from me sent at 2.21, 3.39 and 4.03  am almost every single night, including the weekends!

Hmm. Perhaps I will go crazy. Perhaps I will survive this. But now I know for sure what the saying “Dreams die with love” means – obviously, if you ain’t sleepin, you ain’t dreamin!

Good night, good morning, whatever... catch you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, Please let me know what you think... I can take almost everything, except abusive language, racist comments, or anything considered inappropriate in civilized society. Thank you.